Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Story Reader Video Plus

This was something The Little One's grandparents bought her for Christmas last year. It's a neat little electronic book that helps her read and follow along and has educational video games. The problem started one evening last week when she wanted to play a game and she was getting frustrated that the Scooby would only move to the left. I checked the connector of the controller and sure enough a data pin was bent. As I tried to unbend it, it broke off.

The next day I started searching for a replacement controller on the Internet but couldn't find anything. My last hope was Obi-Wan, err, the manufacturer of the system. I found their site and called their customer service department and explained what had happened. A pleasant woman took my shipping address and said that she would be sending out a replacement shortly. I told her that she had forgotten my billing info and she said it wasn't necessary. She would send me the controller at no charge.

Wow. Another great customer service moment. I will definitely go and buy some more books for the reader because of their attitude and commitment to the buyer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the manufacturer's phone number. I have the same problem with the broken pins.

Thanks

Tom said...

I can't remember which of the following two numbers I called but it was one of them.

Publications International, Ltd.
800-454-9006 or 800-595-8484

Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

I broke a pin on mine also but when I called they said the product has been discountinued. Do you know where I can buy a new controller?

Tom said...

When all else fails try eBay. I saw a brand new unit in box for $15. Sorry I can't offer you a better solution. Good luck!

portia25 said...

I just went through the same thing this morning. I went to hook up the unit for my son and it didn't move right!!! I called the company and they aren't making it anymore. They did offer me the original with Cars story and a 3pack cartridge set that comes iwth Finding Nemo, Incredibles and Monsters Inc. This would be all fine and dandy to exchange however it doesn't hook up to the tv and that's my sons favorite part!! Oh well, back to the drawing board on finding a new controller!!

Anonymous said...

Any luck finding a new controller? I have the same problem. I didn't find any controllers on ebay...Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Anonymous said...

Any luck finding a new controller? I have the same problem. I didn't find any controllers on ebay...Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Tom said...

I was looking on eBay and found the entire system new in box with a buy it now price of $21.99...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Story-Reader-Video-Plus-Alphabet-Adventures-System_W0QQitemZ190304753472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4f0c1740&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A used unit with a couple of books with a buy it now price of $30...

http://cgi.ebay.com/STORY-READER-VIDEO-PLUS-Learning-System-SCOOBY-DORA_W0QQitemZ370180682192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56307cf1d0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

There are a number of used units and books up for bid or buy it now as of 1:30 PM MST. If I were still looking for a controller replacement I would consider buying an entirely new/used system for my daughter. This may be the only solution. Good luck!