Friday, November 24, 2006

Free Money

Well, not really. Technically it's money that I've already spent but for some reason or another it needs to be returned to me. But in my mind, since I had no clue that it was owed to me, it doesn't exist. Hence, it's free money or found money to me. It all started this morning when I was reading the news and came across an article about Texas' unclaimed property website. Just type in your name to see if anyone has reported to the state any unclaimed funds. I tried my full name first, then variations of it, and came up with an exact match. It wasn't a jackpot but $35 is still better than nothing. For grins I tried some friends' names and lo and behold I found one that is owed some money from one of the apartments she used to live in. So if you live in the great state of Texas, go here to check if you're owed any money. There's also a link there that points to searches for other states. Cha-ching!

1 comment:

Hank said...

Cindy just mentioned the other day that she saw you were owed money. I told Toti, if that's who you mean, several years ago after searching those databases that the water company owes her money but she never did anything about it.

I found that my dad's mother is owed "over $100" (Illinois only tells you a range, and "over $100" is the top, so it might be thousands even), but he hasn't done anything about it.