Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Please, Please, I Promise To Be Good

As I was trying to say last week, I had a memory pop into my mind as fast and as real as being hit by a line drive foul ball at a MLB game. I was attending a private school in Virginia during my second grade and every now and then a parent would bring someone in my class their lunch that they had either forgotten at home or to celebrate some special occasion. The latter was almost always a meal from McDonald's. I remembered that I thought it was so cool that someone could eat a burger and fries from McDonald's during school. I remembered pleading with my dad to bring me lunch from McDonald's during school someday. And I can still remember my dad walking into my class with *my* special lunch from McDonald's.

After that memory came another of a restaurant I remembered going to when we lived in Virginia and never saw again when we moved. It was a place called Gino's. I could remember how the place looked and even some of the small toys they gave to kids with their meals. I found a tribute site to Gino's that has pictures and such here. I just wish they had more stuff circa 1972. Then I thought about Shakey's Pizza and birthday parties and...well that's another story.

7 comments:

Hank said...

There were Shakey's Pizza places where I lived when I was younger, but now for the life of me I can't remember if it was Dallas or Chicago.

Was that a Shakey's that was in the NE corner shopping plaza at Midway and Beltline? If not, what was that pizza place called?

Tom said...

I don't think there were any Shakey's Pizza parlors in Dallas. At least none that I can remember. But then again, I can't even remember a pizza place in that little shopping plaza you mentioned. Just the Chili's and some kind of brunch place. I'm trying and I can't remember pizza there. Frustrating.

Hank said...

Yeah, it was next to/near the Chilis. I went there with Jill a bunch of times. Maybe it was a bit further down, but not as far down as say Addison Road. No, I'm sure it was there, near Chilis. Oh well.

Tom said...

I just got hit with another foul ball. Was it a Straw Hat Pizza you're thinking about? Say it is.

Hank said...

Never heard of Straw Hat Pizza, so I doubt it.

Cindy said...

Did you know that the restaurant they go to in Ferris Bueller is supposed to be a play on Shakey's? Chez Quis. You learn something new every day.

Tom said...

That just makes the movie all the more funnier. SAVE FERRIS!