Thursday, March 09, 2006

Pencil Eraser

Why are the erasers on pencils so small? For arguments sake, I'm talking about the old fashioned yellow wooden pencil with the little number on its side (which I can magically make disappear or double). The pencil is about six inches long but the eraser is only about a quarter inch. I'm not saying that I am prone to making mistakes but I think even the average person finds that the erasers on the pencils don't last as long as the pencil itself.

The eraser sometimes tends to smudge the lead when I am erasing causing me to use up more of the eraser to get rid of the smudge marks. Then when I am down to the last millimeter of eraser I often end up tearing the paper because of the metal band wrapped around the pencil end.

I know I could buy a stand-alone eraser but that would require me to have two things in hand when using a pencil sans eraser. Buy a mechanical pencil you say? Well, those little erasers are just as bad but at least you can replace those. Now there's a thought. Why not make those little erasers replaceable? I guess in a perfect world things would all work out nicely. But we don't live in a perfect world. Too bad.

No comments: