Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sounds Like Fun

Just finished reading Creepers, a novel by David Morrell, who is famous for introducing the world to John Rambo in First Blood. The book is about a group of people known as Urban Explorers, or Creepers, and they look for abandoned (and not so abandoned) buildings and such to explore. Of course in the book, the group finds much more than they bargained for in The Paragon Hotel. The book itself is 354 double spaced pages and is quick reading. I don't think it was written very well but it occupied my time for a couple of days.

While reading it, some memories from my childhood came forward that I had almost forgotten about. When I was about seven years old, there were some condemned buildings near where we lived. I remembered going there with a couple of friends and exploring the buildings. It was dangerous because much of the wooden floor was rotten and had gaping holes in them. That made it even more dangerous when we went up to the second and third floors. I remember seeing old chairs and desks and even things still hanging on the walls. At the time, I probably didn't think much about that but now I do. Why did they leave all that stuff behind?

I Googled "urban explorers" and found some interesting sites. Many have pictures from their "infiltrations" and some of those gave me the creeps (no pun intended). Some of them even reminded me of what I saw so many years ago. It should be noted that what they do is against the law because at the least they are trespassing. Still, I wouldn't mind entering some abandoned asylum to take a little look around.

No comments: