Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Frugal Technophile

I was thinking about how far technology has gone in the past fifteen years and how those changes had affected most people's way of life. Nowadays I don't leave the house without my cell phone and go back to get it if I do because no one would be able to get a hold of me. Many years back I had six remote controls but now I only have one that does the work of six. I do just about everything I can on the Internet because it usually saves me time and money. Unless your dealing with city, county, or state government that is.

For example, it's time for me to renew my vehicle registration and I thought to myself why I haven't been doing that online. When I did go online I realized that the reason I didn't in the past is because the county charges me a "convenience fee" to do it online. Well, I'm just too darned cheap to pay a fee to the county. It's kind of like when there weren't many ATMs around the city and if you used one that wasn't affiliated with your bank then you were charged a fee. I would drive a couple of miles down the road to find my bank's ATM before I would pay that darned fee. There are also some restaurants around town that will take orders online but they will add on a fee for doing it. So I just pick up the darned telephone and phone in my order because that doesn't cost extra. Explain the logic to me. But the amazing thing here is that I pay all my bills online through my bank's website. For free. It doesn't cost me a penny even though I have a lot of bills every month. Go figure.

No comments: