Friday, June 08, 2007

Literally Speaking

From a Lease Contract:

"Death of Sole Resident. If you are the sole resident, upon your death you may terminate the Lease Contract without penalty with at least 30 days written notice. You will be liable for payment of rent until the latter of: (1) the termination date, or (2) until all possessions in the apartment are removed. You will be liable for all rent, charges, and damages to the apartment until it is vacated, and any removal and storage costs."

Yeah, maybe I'll have the luxury of knowing in advance when Death will come knocking on my door but you can surely bet I won't be wasting my time writing a 30 day notice. I won't have time to worry about penalties or liabilities either because I'll be DEAD! And if I were to return from the dead like a zombie from a George Romero film, I wouldn't be wasting my time removing my possessions. I'd be chasing down dinner.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Maybe the wording is off. Like maybe it should say "within at least 30 days notice" for your next of kin. Otherwise, that's just wacked.

Tom said...

I think the contract writer is wacked.