Saturday, June 10, 2006

Traffic

Why is it that when I'm running late to get somewhere there is always something out of my control that makes me even later? I was on the interstate this afternoon making good time when I ran into a traffic jam. I sat in traffic for 2o minutes, creeping along at a snail's pace. It was an accident that caused this backup but what really irritates me is that the lane open/closed notification lights did not notify which lanes were open/closed. The overhead directional signs on the interstate in this city have these lights which have a green "O" for open and a red "X" for closed. Designed to let drivers know of impending lane closures ahead due to construction or accidents. Of course I don't think any of the drivers here even look at them but I for one do not like to be in a lane that is blocked and then have to rely on the kindness of another driver to decide to let me in. With my luck, I happened to be in the lane that was blocked by the accident but a nice driver let me into his lane. Or maybe he was just too busy gawking and not paying attention. Probably the latter.

No comments: