Friday, October 05, 2007

Boogey Man and Dog Lovers

After reading a few news stories this morning I've decided to make a comment and gripe. The first story I read was about a mother who claims her children had nightmares after shopping at WalMart. I had to chuckle while reading the story because I know what she went through. The Little One was with me on a day of shopping which included stops at Sam's Club and WalMart. This had to be in early September because I was griping to my wife that it was too early to be displaying Halloween items. Well, both stores had Halloween decorations and props set up which included life-sized moving creatures and giant inflatable Halloween scenes. The Little One was not a happy camper. She proceeded to scream and cry until we were out of sight of the displays. She was not the only child in the store who reacted in that manner. There were other toddlers who did not enjoy the displays either. Now when we go into those stores, we have to bypass the Halloween area or ask her to close her eyes when we are within sight of the displays. BTW, she slept soundly that night and didn't complain at all about being afraid after we got home.

The other story I read was about how a city's animal control department found an abandoned dog with a note attached to its collar which said something like "Help me, please find me a good home." The dog was in good health but if no one claimed or adopted him he would be euthanized in a few days. The local paper ran a front page article and photo of the pooch explaining its dilemma. That day animal control received over a thousand calls regarding that particular dog. My gripe is if there are a thousand people interested in adopting an unwanted dog, why did they wait until reading about this particular one before calling. Don't they realize that there are hundreds of other dogs and cats that are waiting for good homes, too? Don't they know that those same animals will be put to death in a weeks time also? I wonder if any of those folks thought about going down and adopting a different animal?

Alright, I'm finished.

No comments: