Monday, October 15, 2007

What's All the Pus About?

So another week passes without a blog post. It was because I was off all last week with a medical problem and I just didn't have enough time during the days to do any posting while at home. On the other hand here at work I have all sorts of time to do things like that. That's not really true, the part about time I mean, here at work I try to find the time to post during small breaks during the day. Gosh I hope my employer doesn't see this.

I had never experienced an abscess until a couple of weeks ago. It was on my leg and it just got bigger and bigger and painful until it exploded. Before that I had thought it was a bug bite or a zit on steroids and hoped it would go away. By the time it was the size of a half-dollar, very painful to the touch and to walk, and with an angry red tint to it did I start to get worried. Searching on the Internet only made matters worse as I imagined it would open up and little white spiders would scurry out of the wound before I passed out. Of course it was during the weekend at around 3 A.M. when it decided to erupt with a flow of blood and pus. It scared the crap out of me.

So I go to the doctor on Monday morning and he prescribed antibiotics and instructed me to soak in a warm bath with Epsom salt 3 to 4 times a day. Something I couldn't do while at work so I took the week off. Today I had a follow-up visit with the doctor and he and I are both pleased with the results. Too bad I couldn't take this week off too but I really wanted to go back to work. That should pass in a few hours, though.

No comments: