Monday, April 17, 2006

Tied Up

When I was in the first grade, I remember my teacher tying me to my chair with jump ropes because I was being too fidgety. Boy, times have changed.

NEW YORK -- A school bus driver is being charged with using electrical tape and seat belts to tie down a 7-year-old girl he claimed was acting up. Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said Edwidge Jean picked up the girl from school on the afternoon of April 4. During the ride to the girl's home, Jean allegedly used two seat belts to strap her to her seat and tape to tie her crossed wrists. The 52-year-old bus driver said the girl was being unruly. Prosecutors didn't say if anyone else was on the bus or if the girl was hurt. Jean was arraigned Tuesday night and released on his own recognizance. He's charged with unlawful imprisonment, harassment and endangering the welfare of a child. He could face up to a year in jail if convicted.

No comments: