Saturday, February 11, 2006

Unsupervised

My wife and I were at a restaurant last night and a couple with a young boy, around seven years old, sat at a table beside us. Once the couple started talking to each other, the boy disappears and is running all over the restaurant. He was doing things only a seven year old boy would appreciate like trying to catch the Japanese carp with his bare hands. At one point, he is out of sight for at least ten minutes and I don't think the couple noticed or cared. I can't stand people like that.

Later, we went to Walmart and as we were coming down one of the main aisles, we see a group of people in the middle. As we approach, I see a man on his knees beside a shopping cart speaking into a two-way radio and I can hear crying. That's when I notice the young boy (not the same one from the restaurant), around seven years old, lying on the bottom rack of the cart. One of his legs was stuck above the knee between the metal rack and the metal bottom of the cart which the wheels attach to. I assessed in my mind that the boy wasn't in any real danger and also thought that with proper supervision from the parents, he would not be in that predicament. I wonder if the parent's felt embarrassed because of their lack of discipline?

No comments: