Saturday, November 26, 2005

DOOM Was Doomed

**Spoiler**
I should have known by the reviews and box office tallies that the DOOM movie may not be what I, or fellow Doomers, was expecting. The first third of the movie had me going with the claustrophobic passageways, dim lights, and occasional scares. When the movie explains that the creatures are really mutated humans that were exposed to a 24th chromosome, I literally groaned, even though I saw it coming. Hmmm, am I watching Resident Evil?

I recall that the premise of the game revolved around the UAC accidentally opening a portal to another dimension. The Gates of Hell, through which hundreds of creatures and demons entered the human world. Sure, the movie has a portal which they called the Arc, but that only acts as a transport to Mars and not, as Doom players may think, the gate to another dimension. My favorite weapon in the game is the Plasma Rifle which I didn't see in the movie. I understand that the producers can't include *every* aspect of the game in the movie but they should have at least kept the basic premise instead of creating (copying) another one. The best part of the movie although very short was the first person shooter perspective that came in the last 10 minutes.

I'm very disappointed. :-(

No comments: