Monday, November 14, 2005

Who Knows?

When I was in high school, I was dating a girl and we eventually went "steady". We got along well and shared the same interests. The only problem was her Dad, who didn't approve of us because I wasn't a "full blooded American". Now her Mom didn't mind us at all, it was just her Dad that had this issue. I remember a couple of times when we had plans to go to a concert or movie and I had to ask my best friend Hank to pick her up at the house. The first time Hank did this for me, I had to hide in the back of his Ford Fiesta with a blanket over me just in case my girlfriend's Dad should come out to the car. Simply ridiculous now that I look back on it. Eventually her Dad got over it and didn't mind us being together (or so he said). Maybe he realized we were just kids and that the chances we were going to make it over a year together were slim. Who knows?

But when I first found out the reason why I shouldn't go to my girlfriend's house when her Dad was home, I was really mad. I was mad that someone would have that kind of mindset. Boy was I naive. But through it all, I never at any time got the idea that maybe I should confront him or worse, murder him. I don't understand what makes kids do bad things nowadays. You see it everyday...no manners, no respect for adults, murder...just to name a few. I'm not saying that I was a Saint in my youth but I knew right from wrong. I knew where the line was and I didn't cross it (most of the time). Maybe it's because I was spanked as a child when I did something bad. Again, who knows?

4 comments:

Hank said...

And you never, for example, called your mom an "ignorant slut" when you were younger or anything. You had *respect* for your elders.... ;-)

Tom said...

I did say that I wasn't a saint back then. Besides, it was from SNL and I believe I was smacked pretty hard for that comment.

Hank said...

I know, I know... but one of my pet peeves is that *each* and *every* generation thinks the newest generation is "bad" and "doesn't have respect". Each and every time.

They all can't be right.

You ever seen the movie "Blackboard Jungle", from the 1950s? All about the horrible kids of the 50s, the delinquents, who didn't respect their elders or authority in general. You also see this in other movies from the decade like "The Wild One."

In the 60s, the Hippies were awful and immoral, didn't know right from wrong.

In the 70s, when we were in grade school, I'm sure you remember that we were told that we "were an awful generation. The kids today!!!!" (and this from adults who were kids in the 50s. See above).

Then you get the same thing, but now the kids/hippies from the 60s passing judgement.

And *now* you have our generation, and my sister does it too, lamenting on today's kids and the lack of discipline, etc.

And then you can go back further than the 50s, of course... all the way back to Ancient Greece, when the same thing was said about their youth as we say about our's.

It's just what happens. No generation if full of saints, and no generation is full of devils. *every* generation of young questions authority, and this comes across often as not having respect, etc. Everyone remembers their childhood with a soft glow around it... not forgetting bad stuff they did, but forgetting how they felt then, and how the adults felt about them then.

Tom said...

Once again, I agree with you whole heartedly. I wasn't trying to blame or question this generation for being bad. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that I think young people today use deadly forms of violence all too quickly to solve their problems. More so than when we were young. Sure, even we were like that to a point, as were others in the generations before us, ready to take on anyone who made fun of our hair or punch someone in the stomach just because we felt like it. But we didn't pull a gun and shoot someone because they didn't like our Judas Priest concert shirt.

I didn't consider gang violence because I don't completely understand the psychological or social issues as to why a person would join a gang. Nor did I consider the riot mentality that you see after disasters or English soccer games.

I was only contemplating the circumstances and reasoning surrounding the decision making process of an individual when they decide the only way to solve a problem is to kill someone.