Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ghost Stories

I read that a security guard had been fired because he had seen ghosts while on patrol in a neighborhood. He informed his supervisor, who arrived at the scene and didn’t see any apparitions, and then fired him five hours later. The security company then contested the former employee’s unemployment benefits arguing he was guilty of misconduct, but a judge ruled that seeing ghosts is not the type of misconduct that can disqualify him from receiving benefits. Wow.

The point of that story was to segue into my little ghost story. The facility where I work has its own apparitions that occasionally make themselves known. When the plant first opened, manufacturing ran 24/7. During the 3rd shift, workers complained that they would be in the bathroom and hear someone turn on the shower. When they looked in the shower stall, the water was running but no one was inside. Some workers complained that they heard voices of children in the bathroom and elsewhere in the plant. There were many comments about hearing footsteps and the feeling that someone is standing behind you, and some even say they’ve been tapped on the shoulder or their hair brushed aside. The situation became so uncomfortable for the workers that management decided to call in a Priest and bless the building. That seemed to calm the restless spirits but I know they are still here.

One weekend I was working in my office and heard banging coming from the manufacturing area. I went out to investigate because there was no one else in the building and the security guard was outside. All the lights were out but I could see a shadow moving towards me and then it went straight up into the rafters. More recently, I arrived at work and prepared to unlock the door to my office and saw a small puddle of water, half in and half out of my doorway. There are no water lines in the ceiling, no recent rain, and the door was completely dry. This went on for about a week. Also recently, more reports of footsteps and voices in the bathrooms. I think it might be a good time to bless the building again.

2 comments:

Hank said...

You know what would really creep you out? The ghost of a bug, say a moth, haunting your office.

Imagine!! A moth, flying all over the place, beating its little wings, and it's also really a ghost!!

Regarding the priest and blessing... I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere what with the recent baptism events, but I can't be bothered to think of one right now. But you know there's a joke there.

Tom said...

Stop it. You're scaring me!