Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Adventures In Hacking

I own a Motorola V551 mobile phone which I've been pretty content with. I use a program called Motorola Phone Tools to link the phone to my PC so I can upload/download pictures and ringtones, sync my address book, yadda, yadda, yadda. My problem is that all of my ringtones on this phone are locked, even the ones I created, meaning I can't transfer them to my PC. Oh, the crappy alert sounds aren't locked so I can archive those on my PC but the good ones, some of which cost money, can't be archived. That's my gripe...I want to save the good ringtones in case I should get a different Motorola phone or if I should have to do a master reset (Cingular has asked me to do that on a couple of occasions to try to fix some reception problems) and wipe out all the downloaded stuff. Well, I've been reading various forums and I've decided to try to hack into the code to unprotect the ringtones. If this goes well, then I may get bold and try to do some other things to my phone. If anyone who knows me is reading this and you try to call and don't get an answer, then you should assume something went terribly wrong. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Hank said...

Have you tried using P2KMan? It's a program like Motorola phone tools in that it allows you access to your phone files for uploading/downloading, etc, though it's not as "pretty".

Supposedly that allows you to change the file properties of the locked files, making them accessible.

I've not used the prog to delete the built-in stuff, but I have used it to hack what my Motorola says when it's closed.... it used to say "ATT Wireless", but since they're no more I figured it was okay for me to change this. Now it says my name.

You might want to give it a try before you mess with codes, etc. Or not

Hank said...

also called P2KTools

Tom said...

Yep, I'm using P2kman. The problem is I don't know what the coding in the attributes mean yet. So, I'm going to try Motokit next. Supposedly that simplifies the process by ticking a 'Normal' box to changed the attribute.

Hank said...

I just thought you'd select "remove attribute" from the file you'd like to delete/change. No? I've been afraid to try, thinking that if I, say, delete the "hello moto" video that maybe my phone won't work...

BTW, my P2KTools, all the dialog boxes and most stuff is in I think Japanese, which of course shows up as crap on my computer. Is your's an entire English version?

Tom said...

My interface is in English but the readme files are gibberish.