Sunday, October 09, 2005

Google, Google, Google

My favorite search engine is...drumroll please...Google!

Surprise, surprise, surprise! Their mission to "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful" is a fair assessment, I think, of their ability to generate accurate links when I enter search criteria. They should probably pay their pidgeons more, though. But this blog isn't about their search engine. Although I use Google for internet searching, blog searching, desktop searching, toolbars, translation tools, Blogger, and email, I wanted to talk a little about a couple of their other products that I find pretty nifty and useful.

The first is Google Earth. This program allows you to "fly" to any geographical location in the world, get directions, zoom in/out, all using satellite imagery. I like the ability to have street names displayed on the imagery as well as a plethora of other stuff. My daughter and I were using it for a homework assignment and when we were done, did some sightseeing from our computer. Too cool.

The other product is Picasa, a program that manages the photos on your computer. I have a lot of pictures on my computer and this program is working better than some of the other photo managing software I've tried. Nice interface, the ability to do basic editing (I use another program for major editing), and allows you to manipulate your photos without altering the original file. You can print different layouts and sizes (wallet size...thank you so much), burn a CD, email, and even upload directly to your blog. And it's free.

So there you have it. No, I don't work for Google or own their stock. This is my own personal and honest opinion, take it or leave it.

No comments: