Friday, October 21, 2005

No Matches Allowed

I recently took a flight from here to there and was reminded when I was checking in luggage that lighters (of all types) have been banned from being carried onto planes and stored in your checked luggage. This was something that should have happened at the same time they banned all those sharp objects from planes. But you can still carry matches onto a plane. Only the soft kind though. Those "strike anywhere" matches are prohibited. Really, what the heck is the difference? They both require striking the match to ignite. Or can the "strike anywhere" matches spontaneously combust under the right conditions? It would make more sense to me if ALL matches were prohibited but I'm not an expert. At least I can rest easy knowing that the DHS has everything under control and knows what's best.

No comments: